2.5.12

Merogovian Queens of France

France during the Dark ages did not really exist, but here is a list of those Queens from which the Carolingian Dynasty arose. This list is from Actualite de Histoire November 2005 issue.

I found it interesting to note that many of the Kings were married several times, sometimes to sisters of their last queen. Here was an exersize...

Why don't parents use these names for their daughters any more?

Above: Carving of St Radegonde, Poiters

Clothilde (475-545) wife of Clovis I, King of the Franks
Ultrogothe (497-?) wife of Childebert I
Gonteheuque (495-532) wife of Clodomir I , King of Orleans, then Clotaire I, King of Nuestrie
Ingonde (510-546) wife of Clotaire I , King of Nuestrie
Arnegonde (515-573) another wife of Clotaire I and sister of Ingonde
Radegonde (520-587) another wife of Clotaire I
Ingoberge (519-587) 1st wife of Caribert I, King of Aquitaine and Paris
Miroflede (?-?) 2nd wife of Caribert I, King of Aquitaine and Paris
Marcovese (?-?) 3rd wife of Caribert I, King of Aquitaine and Paris and sister of Miroflede
Teudegilde (unk-589) 4th wife of Caribert I, King of Aquitaine and Paris
Audovere (533-580) 1st wife of Childepric I, King of Nuestrie
Galeswinthe (540-568) 2nd wife of Childepric I, King of Nuestrie
Fredgonde (533-580) 3rd wife of Childepric I, King of Nuestrie
Brunehaut (534-613) wife of Sigebert I, King of Austrasie
Hadeltrude (580-602) 1st wife of Clotaire II, King of Nuestrie and of Austrasie
Beretrude (582-618) 2nd wife of Clotaire II, King of Nuestrie and of Austrasie
Sichilde (590-?) 3rd wife of Clotaire II, King of Nuestrie and of Austrasie
Gomatrude (598-630) 1st wife of Dagobert I, King of Nuestrie and of Austrasie, and sister of Sichilde
Nanthilde (610-642) 2nd wife of Dagobert I, King of Nuestrie and of Austrasie
Bathehilde (654-673) wife of Clovis II, King of Austrasie
Bichilde (654-673) wife of Childeric II, King of Austrasie
Clothilde (650-699) wife of Therry I (lazy) King of Austrasie
Plectrude (?-?) wife of Pepin of Herstal, the mayor of the Palace and duke of the Franks, she imprisoned his bastard son Charles Martel, who later became mayor of the palace of Nuestrie and Austrasie
Rotrude (?-724) 1st wife of Charles Martel, mayor of the palace of Nuestrie and Austrasie
Sonichilde (?-?) 2nd wife of Charles Martel, mayor of the palace of Nuestrie and Austrasie
Gisle (715-755)wife of Childeric II last (puppet) Merigovian King

I did have a nun in kindergarten named Sister Mary Radegonde, SND, who lives in heaven now.

Jhesu+Marie,
Brantigny

No comments: