8.11.10

The Louvre

The palace and fortresse of the Louvre about 1180.
It was on this date in 1793, that the French Revolutionary government opened the Louvre as a museum.

Palais du Louvre began as a fortress built in the late 12th century under King Philip II. Remnants of the fortress are still visible. The building was extended many times to form the present Palace. In 1682, Louis XIV chose Versailles for his household, leaving the Louvre primarily as a place to display the royal collection, including, from 1692, a collection of antique sculpture. In 1692, the building was occupied by the Académie des Inscriptions et Belles Lettres and the Académie Royale de Peinture et de Sculpture, which in 1699 held the first of a series of salons. The Académie remained at the Louvre for 100 years. During the French Revolution, the National Assembly decreed that the Louvre should be used as a museum, to display the nation's masterpieces.

The facade, marred by the Glass Pyramid in the court yard...

Louis la Vache's Frog-Blog article on this palace is here...

Jhesu+Marie,
Brantigny

Official site of the Louvre.

No comments: