18.12.09

A Christmas Carol

Elena-Maria's blog Tea at Trianon has an article today which explores the Catholicity of Dicken's "A Christmas Carol". The 1938 film version of A Christmas Carol with Reginald Owen was a perennial favorite of ours. My father never missed watching it on Christmas Eve, as we set up our Christmas tree. He knew every line by heart. I think he told me he saw it when he was 5 or 6. This being my first Christmas with out him I have found this especially fitting...

English journalist Eric Hester discusses the Christmas classic, saying:

...No one is going to deny that this book is a classic but I can hear the cries that Dickens was not a Catholic. I do not claim that Dickens was a Catholic; obviously he was not. I simply claim A Christmas Carol as a great Catholic classic...

...“Man, if man you be in heart, not adamant, forbear that wicked cant until you have discovered What the surplus is and Where it is. Will you decide what men shall live, what men shall die? It may be, that in the sight of Heaven, you are more worthless and less fit to live than millions like this poor man’s child. Oh God! To hear the Inspect on the leaf pronouncing on the too much life among his hungry brothers in the dust!...”
more...

A complete e-text of A Christmas carol is found here...

Dieu le Roy!
Brantigny

The above prints: "Scrooges third visitor"-John Leech,1843
"Et l’ogre l’a mangé"-Louis-Léopold Boilly,1824
were borrowed from Tea at Trianon, and http://blog.catherinedelors.com/...

No comments: