2.9.09

Pluie de Roses, a shower of Roses

Christine has some wonderful posts today. This one is on St. Thérèse of Lisieux and visions of her during the Great War...

St. Thérèse of Lisieux was named by Pope Pius XII secondary patron of all of France, after Mary. Though we're all familiar with her Story of a Soul, which some unfortunately interpret as revealing a saccharinely sweet, tender, and weak saint, we are less familiar with the fiery aspect of her soul, the one that longed to "die in a battlefield, arms in hand.” St. Joan of Arc as her model, St. Thérèse had a burning desire to literally go to war for Christ:

Oh no, I would not fear going to war. With what joy, for example, at the time of the Crusades, I would have gone to combat heretics. Yes! I would not have been afraid to be shot; I would not have feared the fire!

And later,

When I think I’m dying in bed! I would want to die in an arena!

more...

Thanks to Christine, and a tip of the beret.

Dieu Le Roy
Brantigny

No comments: