8.4.09

The death of a child

I have never experienced the death of a child. I have 4, all grown and not living at home. Although they my not think so I was not pleased to see them go. But time change and the birds build their own nests elewhere.

I found a blog today in which the owner had lost a baby son. Her son would have been 6 months old tomorrow. Her articles about her grief moved me greatly. I was moved so much that I grieved for her.

It reminded me of Marie-Antoinette who is shown in the below portrait with three of her four children. She holds a baby, the future Louis XVII (Louis Charles), while her oldest son the Dauphin, Louis Josephwho would also be taken from her, points to the empty cradle of little Princess Sophie-Béatrix who had died while the painting was in process. Sophie-Béatrix was under 1 year old. Marie-Antoinette's oldest daughter Marie Thérèse Charlotte would be the only surviving child of King Louis XVI and Queen Marie-Antoinette. She is seen as standing on the right side of the queen. She was called Madame Royale.



Marie-Antoinette lived to see two of her children die, and her son Louis Charles snatched from her arms, before she was led away to be martyred.

...O all ye that pass by the way, attend, and see if there be any sorrow like to my sorrow: for he hath made a vintage of me... Lamentations 1: 12

Vivate Christus Rex,
Brantigny

No comments: