6.3.09

Cyrano de Bergerac

Today is the anniverary of a contemporary of my ancestor Etienne; Cyrano de Bergerac, was born this day in 1619 in Paris...

"Thus I toss my poor hat aside,
And shrug off my threadbare cape,
The crowd's eyes are open wideAnd many a mouth is agape,
As I take my sword by the nape
And draw out its form so fine
From which there is no escape,
For tonight, Valvert--you are mine!

Too bad that you chose to deride
This vicious old Bergerac ape(
(My teeth are as hard as my hide),
Yet when you are dead I will drape
Your corpse with the finest of crepe,
So that all know your taste was 'divine,'
Though you should have avoided a scrape
With the master--for now, you are mine!

I must find now a sharp rhyme for 'pride'--
You're panting, you're red as a grape
Is that ardor or terror inside?
What began as a lark, as a jape,
Now concludes with a rout, with a rape,
With your virginal courage supine,
As a puddle on honor's landscape-
Turn around, little girl--you are mine!"-
Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Act 1

Hector Savinien de Cyrano de Bergerac was a French dramatist and duelist who is now best remembered for the many works of fiction which have been woven around his life story. In these fictional works he is featured with an overly large nose; portraits suggest that he did have a big nose, though not nearly as large as described in Edmond Rostand's play and the subsequent works about him. A statue of him stands in the town of Bergerac, Dordogne.

(1) Cyrano de Bergerac died on 28 July 1655, he was aged 36. "Tis a short life for a noble man"

Dieu le Roy!
Brantigny

A follower of mine is Cyrano so I felt compelled to mark the day!

3 comments:

Mark D. Amesse said...

I first met the young lady (we were in high school) who would be my wife, in a French production of of the play "Cyrano de Bergerac".

de Brantigny........................ said...

Superb. He touches us all.

Richard

Joseph Fromm said...

I have the Jose Ferrer film version of Cyrano an absolutely wonderful performance.

JMJ

Joe