9.2.09

Marie-Antoinette's Chemise

I have found on the net a photo of the last remaining garment of the Martyred Queen. The photo shows a chemise, or rather the chemise. This chemise was the last one worn by Marie-Antoinette in the conciergerie and at the scaffold.

Chemise were probably the easiest garment to make, (chemise was used to describe the same item for men and women). Basically it was a piece of linen (or cotton) about 50 inches or more, folded in half. A portion was cut off the bottom with which to make arms, and a piece to be added sides to make the bell shape (for women). on the photo one cand make out the piece attached on the right side of the chemise.

On European women (including Canada and the colonies) it was worn under all the other clothes.

Vive le Roy!
de Brantigny

Notes: It takes about an acre of flax to make a hankerchief, so any linen clothing article was expensive. It is a long and labour intensive process. Making a chemise is a quick job, even hand stitching the piece.

I do not think the stain is blood. This is for three reasons: firstly, blood was needed in identifying the heart of Louis XVII, the lost King and this was not used. Secondly the stain is too square, too neat, and ...Thirdly, I have examined battleflags from the War between the States upon which the blood of the person who carriedit left stains, the iron in the blood has a tendancy to destroy the fabric in the shape of the stain, due to the iron in the blood.

5 comments:

Hummingbird said...

A very touching and poignant post. Thank you.

spanishbolero said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
I, Richard, said...

Yes she was a mother. When women are ushered into that blessing hteir figure does in fact change, But I would not call the Queen fat.

Maryln Monroe was size 12! Yet she was considered very beautiful.

Marie-Antoinette wears the crown of martyrdom and is beautiful in the sight of God, How can I think of her less.

Thanks for your comments.
Brantigny

spanishbolero said...

Forgive me, if it seems I was calling our queen 'overweight.' I meant by writing "full figured," is that she had a beautifully feminine form. According to moderne day approximations, her figure was quite astonishing, beautifully formed, and yet having a lovely waistline.

I meant to say if this chemise was her last worn earthly garment, then for certain, she was much altered. As any wife, any mother worth her salt--would have been

I, Richard, said...

I was not counciling you, I fear it was a translation problem. I did get your meaning...

Richard