18.11.08

St. Jean de Brebeuf S.J., His Legacy Continues

More history of New France...

The bustling activity within the 400-year-old fortress of the First Light celebrations at Sainte-Marie among the Hurons captures the festive mood of Christmas past.

Back in 1626, the arrival of Father Jean de Brebeuf and his band of missionaries was watched by the natives with suspicion.

The historic site will open during the early evening hours of Dec. 4 to 6, authentically costumed missionaries, soldiers and tradesmen reveal what life was like here in the 17th century. Decorated for the festive season, the buildings invite visitors to warm up while sampling the foods of long-gone days – fresh-baked biscuits and cookies – while listening to musicians and checking out the crafts of local artisans.

A Jesuit priest leads you to the old chapel where another priest kneels in prayer on the dirt floor in front of a wooden cross, barely illuminated by a lone flickering candle. Here is the final resting place of Father Brebeuf.
Outside, soldiers fire a volley, then reload their muskets by the light of a bonfire. In the longhouse, open fires, dried herbs, smoky deer hides and the aroma of freshly baked bannock.

Thanks to Joseph at Good Jesuit, Bad Jesuit

Jhesu+Marie,
de Brantigny

No comments: