7.11.08

Marie Leszczynska, France's Polish Queen

Catherine Delors, from Versailles and More, has begun presenting the distaff side of the Royal House which gave us Louis XV, his aunts and sisters. I have written about Queen Marie Leszczynska which may be found here, I am too clinical sometimes so I enjoin the reader to go to Catherines site.

As promised, I will post a series of entries about Mesdames, the daughters of Louis XV. But it seems impossible to write about them without first introducing their mother, Queen Marie Leszczynska.

Talleyrand, the Bishop turned diplomat extraordinaire, said of her that "her virtues had something sad about them that failed to inspire sympathy." That has remained the judgment of history, which remembers her as a dour, charmless, rather stupid but innocuous figure. This is, in my opinion, most unfair.

True, Marie Leszczynska was not destined to become the Queen consort of France. Her father, Stanislas Leszczynski, had been briefly Kind of Poland from 1704 to 1709 before being dethroned and sent into exile by one of the many convulsions in that country's history.

Stanislas Leszczynski, an intellectual, kindly man, had limited ambitions for his daughter. He would have been happy to give her hand in marriage to any French Duke. But her dowry was so meager as to be considered nonexistent, and no candidates of suitable rank were in sight for Marie.
more...

Thanks Catherine and a tip of my beret to you...

A small gallery of portraits my be seen here...

Jhesu+Marie
de Brantigny

1 comment:

Catherine Delors said...

Thank you, Richard, for the link! I see that you too like dear Queen Marie. I kept the French spelling, of course...