2.5.08

Marie-Antoinette and her Love for Louis XVI

By design or by accident there are not many portraits of the King and Queen together, even this one contains her brother the Archduke Joseph...


I was stuck on watching a few moments of the new film "Marie-Antoinette" with Kirsten Dunst. I was disappointed. Sorry, but Kirsten just didn't have the bearing that it takes to be a Daughter of a Hapsburg and a Queen of France. Sad, but in this time of free for all sex and immorality everything we touch must therefore be polluted, so that the poor masses dumbed down by 200 years of unhistory can empathize with her. To me the film is phoney. My daughter Michelle-Renee says to me, "I don't think this is a bad movie. " Have I lost?, I sigh. I gave her "Tea at Trianon" to read.

Elena-Maria Vidal's goto blog on all things Marie-Antoinette, Tea at Trianon, reflects on the true love she felt for her husband Louis. The fortunate thing for us is Elena-Maria actually researches the articles she publishes. Now there is a concept. Today we find this...


With all the fervid speculations over Marie-Antoinette's relationship with Count Fersen, people forget that she saw herself first and foremost as the wife of Louis XVI, and mother of his children, the Enfants de France. There were many times she was witnessed expressing wifely affection and concern for him. Furthermore, Marie-Antoinette could have escaped without Louis and saved her life, but she refused to desert him. She sacrificed herself to remain with him, and that looks like love to me.After the storming of the Bastille on July 14, 1789, Louis XVI went to Paris to reconcile with his subjects. Marie-Antoinette dreaded that he would be killed.


When he returned safely, a contemporary writer, Lemaire, described her reaction:
This princess, as virtuous as she was amiable, whom monsters later on accused of having never loved her husband, was absolutely in despair. As soon as she heard the King's carriage entering the Cour Royale she ran towards him holding the Dauphin in her arms, then breathless and almost fainting she fell into those of the King who was no less moved than she was. Holding out one hand to his children who covered it with kisses, with the other wiping the tears from the eyes of Marie-Antoinette and Madame Elisabeth, Louis XVI smiled again...he kept on repeating: "Happily no blood was shed, and I swear that not a drop of French blood will ever be shed on my orders."~ Histoire de la Revolution Francaise (3 vol.) by M.H. Lemaire, 1816
Thanks and a tip of the beret to Elena-Maria...
Dieu le Roy,
de Brantigny

6 comments:

elena maria vidal said...

Thank you for the link and the nice words!

de Brantigny said...

I always try to say thanks. I joined a Yahoo group called images of Marie Antoinette. The collection of photos us pretty complete, but the group members are a pretty mixed bunch of liberals, a few devotees, and women who broadcast their own immorality. You blog is refreshing. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Yes, there is so much propaganda and false history of people like Marie-Antoinette and Louis XVI. I find it very refreshing to learn what they were really like. A beautiful post. Thanks to you and Elena-Maria.

Best wishes,

Mary

de Brantigny said...

You seem to be looking into my blog pretty good. I am pleased that you should take so much time to look at my articles.

How did you find my blog?
Just curious.

de Brantigny

Anonymous said...

Dear Sir,

I found your blog trying to research monarchy-related topics, in which I am currently interested.

Best wishes,

Mary

de Brantigny said...

Mary, Marie Antoinette is not the only Queen I have writen about,
see http://lefleurdelystoo.blogspot.com/2007/12/mary-queen-of-scots.html

Richard
gunnyb1973@yahoo.com