14.2.08

Moral decisions in voting

It should be difficult for any Catholic to vote this November.

Yesterday as I attended a Eucharist Holy Hour, the deacon's homily centered on rationalism. As I drove home I pondered the question over and over in my mind. I realized that the axiom of "Vote for whomever comes closest to my way of thinking and beliefs" was a form of insiduous rationalization. How close is close?

My qualification questions for an elected official are;

1) Is the person a Catholic in good standing?
2) Does this person lead a life which is free from scandal or the appearance of scandal?
3) Is the person ashamed of his faith; does this person make statements that infer that his faith will not stand in the way of how he make decisions?
4) Is this person capable to make a sound moral decision based on the teaching of the Church.
5) Does this person respect human life?
6) What is this person's understanding of justice and peace?


So the question remains, can we vote in November? I submit that it is not possible as a Catholic in good consience vote. Each candidate misses the mark of my pesonnal list by at least two and some more of what I consider qualifications.

A moral action is one from which no evil may be derived. Therefore voting is an immoral action. An immoral action is a sin be cause we know it is evil. We can not claim invincible ignorance.

It does not matter how I feel personally about a candidate, all four candidates defer to the "Will of the people". No man can serve two masters. For either he will hate the one, and love the other: or he will sustain the one, and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon. Matt: 6.-24 There is not one of these who would serve God first. It is by the action of the person by which his faith is proclaimed. It is in serving God that we serve men.

No comments: