31.8.07

Catholicism and Orthodoxy a sad state of affairs


Given the furor that arose from an article I poster recently concerning the Orthodx faith and the Chrisitan faith I have done a bit of research. Now i must say catigorically and without reserve that I believe all the the Catholic Church teaches. I produce today a short essay on the differneces between the two Christian Faiths, Catholicism and Orthodoxy. I pray for reunion between us. This is not some false ecuminism, it is a fervent hope in the reunification of the Body Of Christ. we have a long way to go. What I find most disturbing is the subordination of the Orthodox Church to the State.

AN APPRECIATION OF ORTHODOX SPIRITUALITY

Orthodox Christianity possesses the seven sacraments; valid ordination, the Real Presence, a reverential understanding of Sacred Tradition, apostolic succession, a profound piety, a great history of contemplative monastic spirituality, a robust veneration of Mary and the saints, and many other truly Christian attributes. Catholics (including myself) widely admire, in particular, the sense of the sacred and the beauty and grandeur of the Orthodox Divine Liturgy (which - it should be noted - is also present in the many Byzantine or Eastern Rites of the Catholic Church), as Thomas Howard eloquently illustrates:

When I walk into an Orthodox Church ... one is immediately aware that one has stepped into the presence of what St. Paul would call the whole family in heaven and earth. You have stepped into the precincts of heaven! ... I love the Orthodox Church's spirit. I think the Orthodox Church many, many centuries ago, discovered a mode of music and worship which is timeless, which is quite apart from fashion, and which somehow answers to the mystery and the solemnity and the sacramental reality of the liturgy. more

3 comments:

canicus said...

I enjoy your blog and must have missed whatever post it is you said caused a furor. I'm a western convert to Orthodoxy (from the United States), and I would like to point out something real quick: both Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism have had their fair share of confusing the things of God with the things of Caesar and with Caesar governing the church. Likewise both sides have refused to compromise in places. Where Orthodoxy has the modern compromise in Russia with Communism among (some, not all) of its leaders, similar compromises are made in the RCC to modernism and our modern political spirit (Benedict is a breath of fresh air to me), and where Orthodoxy has the emperors appointing patriarchs of Constantinople, the Roman Catholics have a very similar thing happening for a while with the Franks. It may surprise you, but several of my fellow Orthodox actually call the RCC's theology the theology of "the Frankish private church" because of it.

I apologize for my bluntness, and I've enjoyed reading your blog. Actually responding to the document you linked to, however, would be a bit beyond what I could do in a comment. I simply wanted to point out that both approaches exist in both sides. In fact, I firmly believe many of the differences between us were caused by just this sort of thing. The dismissive attitude of the East has its roots in old Roman racism against the Germans and the view of the Roman Empire (which the Byzantine Empire was in both name in essence at the time). The two most inflammatory doctrinal innovations in the west (more would come about as time went on which are no less important) were pushed to the fore principally by Frankish popes or appointed popes, furthering their imperial ambitions. Similar compromises persist to this day, and we can find them on both sides; there is a concerted effort on the part of many of us in the Orthodox Church to fight phyletism, our term for confusing church and nation. At the same time I can't picture Benedict compromising Christian claims by bending over and kissing a Quran as did John Paul II (no less an affront than what happened with Orthodoxy and Communism in Russia). Things are, indeed, looking up.

Sorry for my verbosity,
Kenneth

Paula said...

Than you for this post Mr. de Bratigny. I find the article very good.

I was baptized Orthodox and I converted to Catholicism of Eastern Rite. I do love the Orthodox Tradition and I hope for the reunification of the Body of Christ.

There is a great book by Soloviev:
The Russian Church and the Papacy (one can find it easy on the amazon.com)

Also maybe you will find interesting this link:
http://credo.stormloader.com
/jlindex.htm

de Brantigny said...

I thank you both for your kind replies. These few blogs have created for me a firestorm of epic preportions. There are so many things we share in common. Four words should separate the east and the west for a thousand years.

God Bless.

de Brantigny